Safe Trenching, Excavation and Ground Disturbance Training
This one-day course is designed for individuals who plan, supervise or perform trenching, excavation or ground disturbance activities. This course focuses on effective communication, specific responsibilities for all stakeholders, and the use of hazard assessment and control procedures for safe excavating and the prevention of damage to buried facilities.
ABCGA (Alberta Common Ground Alliance) Standard 201, Ground Disturbance ? Supervisory certification will be issued on the successful completion of classroom testing.
Course topics include:
- types of ground disturbances
- Alberta One-Call and the damage prevention process in Alberta
- relevant legislation
- soil terminology and classifications
- cutbacks, shoring and protective structures
- hazard assessment and controls
- overhead power lines
- pipelines and crossing agreements
- environmental protection and assessment
- Emergency Response Planning
This course has a written, closed-book exam component. Participants must achieve a minimum score of 70% for course certification.